Saturday, February 23, 2008

Friday with the Catholics

My husband and I attended a "Living Matrimony" meeting at the Catholic church he's been attending. This was a couple's group, and the topic of the month was studying the marriage vows: Love and Honor. No, I didn't burn when I entered the church :o) They were very welcoming, and we weren't the youngest couple, like I thought we might be. The praying was strange. They prayed before the "meeting" began, and they prayed at the end. I did not...I did bow my head just to be respectful, but didn't do the sign of the cross or anything. Except for the praying and God talk, it was nice. Don't know how they'll take the fact that he's been divorced. They asked questions and know that he has a 7 year old daughter, and that we've been married a little over a year and a half. Perhaps they think he had a child out of wedlock (gasp!). He told me his sister was "shun" from a Catholic group because they found out she was divorced. That's crap...so we'll see what they have to say. Hope they don't ask why they never see me at Sunday mass. I like the idea of a couple's group because it's a good way to make new couple friends, and they provide childcare if we ever needed it (the schedule works out to where we shouldn't), but the fact that it's a CATHOLIC group sucks. I could open my mind to the possibility of religion, but definitely NOT Catholic!

4 comments:

SMOKING HOT GREAT BIG KNOCKERS! said...

Just an advice... stay away from catholic people! I grew up "Catholic" the Catholic school and the whole family starting with my gradmon, who stills prays for me and my sister and brother, and I am now recovering. That is where you will meet the most hipocrit people in the world and they are constantly trying to "save" you! I had many bad experiences with people that take religion to the extreme just because I am very liberal and don't give a shit about church and not living according to the "Gospel" is a terrible sin! Good luck to you!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

If this group would shun or judge either one of you, why would you want to be friends with them?

How about going to Barnes & Noble and joining a book discussion group or joining another type of group that does things that you two like to do? Then you would find couples or individuals with similar interests. There are all sorts of ways to meet people. You just have to search.

As far as Catholics, yes, most of the ones I've personally met don't follow their religion 100%...or even 60%. I think my biggest beef with them is that they call themselves Catholic, but they don't really TRY to be.

On the other hand, my favorite Catholic, while certainly not perfect, happens to pray EVERY SINGLE DAY. This person has actually TRIED to live the life of a good Catholic in every way, even if not always successful. Who's perfect?! The point is if you mess up, you get up and try again. This person actually believes and doesn't try to push those beliefs onto others. I can respect that. In my opinion, as long as there are people like this out there, it's not fair to lump them in with all of the other so-called Catholics.

SMOKING HOT GREAT BIG KNOCKERS! said...

I totally agree with you Theresa. By the way Cori have anyone tell you before that you look like Salma Blair from the movies "cruel intention?" she is also on the movie "legally blonde II" I swear you do look like her and a little bit like Katie Holmes.

SMOKING HOT GREAT BIG KNOCKERS! said...

Also Theresa! the reason I think about catholics this bad is because of my grandmon (mom side) she is so hypocrit. I do love her, but she is one of those people that pray so much and them loves to talk bad about people and loves to gossip all the time. She criticizes me for not going to church and for not following the rules of a true Catholic. I told her I am not a catholic anymore. I am more a spirutual kind of person. I think that you don't need to go to church to be a good person. My grandmom is not the only one! my aunts and uncles are all the same!