Monday, February 23, 2009

The Phone Call

I was watching my stepdaughter last Saturday. She talked on the phone with her mother, came in the room and said, "My mom wants to talk to you." My first thought...Why?! What did I do? Got on the phone, and she was....civil! She offered to pick her up for a birthday party which she was going to anyway. I told her I didn't mind but needed to confirm with my husband. She told me to call her back. Call her back and everything's alright. I get spoken to when she picks up, and she says she'll let me know if she'll drop her off or if we need to pick her up (I offered to pick her up afterwards). Then, she calls me. ME...not my husband. And she, again, was civil. I existed. I was visible. It made things SO easy!!!

Yet, the night before, I awoke from a terrible dream where my husband was leaving me for her because they wanted to make another baby, and as much as I begged and pleated, he still left. I was heartbroken. I cried myself awake. Then I couldn't talk to my husband more than just one word responses. I told him the dream, and he very nicely and understandingly apologized for his dream self...several times :o)

So after the shock of her being so nice and acknowledging my existence, I thought to myself, for a brief moment, Is she buttering me up to take my husband's sperm and make another baby?!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Wow. Progress. I too would look at it cautiously.