Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Allen

Allen job fair was terrible, for its second year in a row...

That Saturday was cold...like there were snow flurries outside cold. The job fair started at 8 am; I got there at 8 am. I stood in a line outside with about a thousand people for an hour. I finally entered, signed in, put on my badge, and made my way to the cafeteria to stand in yet another line. I stood in this line, for one school, for about 30-40 minutes. I ended up having a one-sided 2 minute conversation. Once the lady found out I was not already REALLY certified, and had no experience, she took my resume, "Ok, thank you. Have a good day."

I went home after that. I did NOT, like last year, cry on my way out.

McKinney canceled their job fair--probably just the same anyway.

Richardson is on the 18th. I am putting pretty much all my stock in Richardson, which I know is a mistake. I know SO many people and have so many connections though. PTA president of a great magnet school, countless teachers with friends and connections, a principal, a vice principal (secondary, of course), and a dad who I guess is pretty high up with connections. Apparently, if I don't receive a phone call from someone before the job fair, he will personally introduce me to those I need to meet. I taught one of his kids; he's commented that I should be teaching his second. This is not someone I have a close relationship with, or who gushes people with complements. So, for him to think so highly of me and really push for me means a lot to me. My self esteem is boosted and I feel great about Richardson this year.

I'll keep everyone posted...even if it's not right away on my blog :o)

3 comments:

penners said...

I wish you much luck! You deserve a break!

SMOKING HOT GREAT BIG KNOCKERS! said...

Don't be discouraged. I am looking for a job too at a different school. I really want to work at a traditional school. I love the Montessori Charter School where I work, but I am only part time Spanish teacher. The other half time they used me as a substitute teacher! How Humiliating is that! I hate it! Sometimes, my classes are even cancelled to cover for teachers that call in sick. I can't do one more year like this. I think two years at the school was more than enough. I am hoping to hear something from another magnet school. (full time teacher in my content area).So this Thrusday I have a job interview. I hope I get it. Good luck to you in your search and I hope you get what you want.

The Spare said...

Thanks for the encouragement :o)